Molly has been to the vet THREE times for vaginitis/UTI issues....
resolved with antibiotics and topical ointment each time, but they have
escalated in severity. (and expense)
She is scheduled to have her reproductive surgery in a few weeks, so I am opting
to have the expensive additional surgery to correct a structural defect.
Opinions generally follow this line of thinking:
By delaying OHE until after 1st heat, you increase the likelihood of developing mammary carcinoma by 8 times what it would have been by spaying prior to first heat. Rate of mammary carcinoma in dogs spayed before first heat is less than 1%. Waiting until after first heat is 12%. Waiting until after 2nd heat is 25%. I'd much rather have a less than 1 in 100 chance of developing cancer than a 1 in 12 chance.
Mammary carcinoma kills; vaginitis is annoying and *may* eventually cause an ascending UTI, but you seem to have that under control. And waiting until after first doesn't necessarily change vulvar conformation enough to eliminate vaginitis anyway. Mild cases with no other problems (ectopic ureter, hooded vulva, perivulvar dermatitis, etc.) usually resolve itself whether or not you spay.
Her case is NOT mild and involves significant structural defects.